Saturday, July 26, 2014

A wife's day off

Greetings in the name of our Lord and savior, Jesus Christ. How are y'all doing? I pray that this blog finds y'all in good health and spirits. Things are going good here at the Jones household. I miss the cooler weather that we had last week, but I am grateful that the summer hasn't been as hot as last year.

Today, my wife got a day off from the house. She left for the day to do whatever she wanted while I took care of the kids and the things around the house. It is something I have been wanting to for my wife for a long time but have never had the opportunity. I know that being a stay-at-home mom is the hardest job in the world and it is a job that doesn't offer a day off. You don't even get a sick day when you are a stay-at-home mom. The problem is, with our lifestyle, Saturdays is the only day that I have to be able to get the thousands of projects I have piled up done. But this weekend offered a perfect opportunity for me to tend to the kids and my wife to have a day off. I did have a few things that I wanted to get done, but I would be able to do them while the kids played outside.  Lol, yea right. Well, my wife left the house this morning after breakfast and I kicked the kids outside. I got a few things done but nowhere near what I wanted. Normal children are high maintenance, but an autistic child is very high maintenance. But you know what? It did turn out to be a great day after all. After lunch I tried to do some laundry and my daughter wanted to get the slip and slide out. I was getting irritated because I knew I would have to stop doing what I needed to do to help her. Now for those who don't know, we do laundry by hand. So it isn't like I can put the laundry in the washer and than help her. But she promised that she can set it up herself. I knew she couldn't but I said OK. Sure enough, she didn't know how to set it up and I had to stop the laundry and help her. After it got set up, she started ... kind of slipping and sliding. I had to laugh. My daughter would run and then gracefully fall onto the slip and slid. This made it so she couldn't slid very far. While this was going on, my autistic son was wanting me to push him on the swing. I was getting nothing done. But my heart was softening and I started thinking, 'What is more important?' So I teased my daughter about how she slides and decided to show my daughter how it's done. So I started slip sliding with her. Than my son started to join us. Oh, he was having a time of his life. It really turned out to be a good day.

As parents, we often let our busy schedule and busy days take over our life. Our families lifestyle really keeps us busy. The only electricity we have is two solar panels to charge our cell phones and our laptops. We do everything the old fashioned way. This does take more time. But we do need to keep in mind what is important and make sure we always make time for it. There is nothing more important than family. We need to make sure that we set time aside for family and just have fun. Even if it means to set a chore aside for later.

Well, it is getting late and my wife has returned from her day out. It is time for me to make time for her. Y'all have a great day.

Take care and God Bless,

The Oklahoma Tomcat
www.twitter.com/oktomcat

No comments:

Post a Comment