Sunday, April 15, 2012

Serve your employer

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people, because you know that the Lord will reward each one for whatever good they do, whether they are slave or free. - Ephesians 6:5-8 NIV


Greetings in the name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. How is everyone doing? I pray that this blog finds you in good health and spirits. Things are going pretty good out here. I am currently temporarily assigned to our Best Buy account out of Elkridge, MD. This is a brand new account that Werner got. Another trucking company use to have it but they messed up and Best Buy got rid of them and contracted to us. This goes to show how easy it is for companies to lose customers and this does affect every employee. Werner grabbed three experienced drivers, I am one of them, and put us on the account temporarily just in case something goes wrong. Our job is to help shuttle trailers around and to stand buy as back up drivers. Once our bosses see that everything is going smooth and back up is no longer needed, then we will go back onto whatever account we were on. For me, that is 48 states. I like this account, just not too fond of the location and that they deliver to areas like NJ, MD, and Washington DC. Oh man, I had to deliver to stores in Washington DC last week and it is crazy. No wonder why our elected leaders are crazy, I would be too if I had to drive in that area. The bicycle riders are the craziest too. They weave in and out of traffic and don't really watch what they are doing. A couple of times a bicycle rider rode in between my truck and a car on my left. THAT IS SUICIDE!! You can tell they don't know a thing about big trucks otherwise they would know that I can't see them at all when they ride along side my truck.

Anyway, Saturday my boss said something that reminded me of a blog I wrote in July of 2010 titled "Huge changes at the Jones Family" In this blog I asked if God is pleased when people don't use the gifts He gave us. The answer of course is no, He isn't happy. Anyway, my boss told me that he will be unhappy when I leave this account. He said that I am very good at my job and he doesn't have very many people who can back a truck like I can. You see, God gave me my gifts. All I do is use them as God has told me to. That is the other thing. It is terrible that if you work as God has told us to, you are looked at as a "brown nose" in todays society. Do you realize that if every Christian worked as God has told us to that every employer would bend over backwards to hire Christians. Not just cause we are Christians, but cause everyone would know that Christians are hard workers. God is smart. He knows what employers want and He told us how to get the promosions, the raises, and keep our jobs. Now I know some people will see the Bible verse above and say, "But that is talking about slaves." Actually, back in the time that these verses were written, if you worked for someone, you were a slave or you were an apprentice (a slave learning a skill). If you were not able to make it on your own you would willingly be someones slave and work for board, food, and a little spending cash. Today, you work for someone for money to pay for board, food, and other things. So, in a sense, you are a slave to your boss and therefor, this verse applies to you. And notice that it says not to work just for your boss' approval. Meaning, don't just look good in front of your boss. God is always watching you and He is the one you should impress. If you impress God, you will impress your boss. God knows that an employer will know a fake. One day I was shuttling trailers from one side of the building to another. As many of you know, your boss isn't watching you when you are a truck driver. My boss just sent me a huge list of trailers to move. So, I started moving them as fast, but yet as safe as possible. I knew my boss wasn't watching and he couldn't see what I was doing on the qual-comm cause I was staying around the building (qual-comm can track drivers from city to city like a GPS). I could have taken breaks and played on the computer and my boss would not know. But I work for God who would know. So, I kept moving the trailers. After I got the last trailer dropped, I sent a message to my boss saying that the trailers have been moved and went to the guard to get the locks for the trailer. As I was getting the locks, my boss came out and said, "You got all those trailers moved already. You are a one man show out here." He was impressed. There is a reason God tells us to work hard and to work as we are working for Him. It is human nature to look at our boss and think "Why should I work so hard for this man. Who is he? He puts his pants on the same way I do." But if you are a Christian and love God, then you know you can't honestly say those things to Him. You know you have to work extra hard for Him and He doesn't put His pants on the same way we do (if He wears pants at all. lol). God is someone and He has done a lot for us. Therefor, when you work, work for God and not for your employer. Treat your employers equipment with care because it belongs to God, do what your employer says because it is God who wants you to do the work, and respect your employer cause by doing so, you are respecting God. In doing this, you will notice the rewards that God will give you. But also, keep this in mind. You should be concerned for your employers success anyway. If your employer fails, every employee fails. You want your employer to stay in business cause if your employer doesn't, then you are out of a job.

Now, when I am talking about the good job I do at work, I really am not bragging. I am human and I know it is very very hard to get motivated to work. Now, I do have a slight advantage, I love to drive trucks. So, I do enjoy my job. But, I am a very lazy person. Very lazy. I would love nothing less then to get paid to be home and play on the computer all day long. If anyone can find me a job where I get paid as much as I do now to be home and play on the computer all day, please let me know. I also know how hard it is to have a positive attitude when things go wrong, and how hard it is to listen to a man who has never done what you are doing at your job. I know, I am human and I have those exact thought. But the thing is to let the Holy Spirit push you in the direction you must go. Understand what God wants you to do when it comes to work and that God wants you to listen to your boss. God has given you the gifts and the ability to do the work He wants you to do. All you have to do is do His will.

Well, speaking of work, I better get to bed so I will have the energy I need to do my work. Y'all take care and God bless.

Love,
The Oklahoma Tomcat

You can find me on facebook at www.facebook.com/oktomcat or follow me on twitter at www.twitter.com/oktomcat. I am also on youtube at www.youtube.com/oktomcat

No comments:

Post a Comment