Saturday, August 20, 2011

Why did Jesus tell His disciples to buy swards if God is against violence? A contradiction or more?

Click Me!
Greetings in the name of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.  How is everyone doing?  Everything is going OK here.  My truck has broke down again.  This time it is the transmission.  In the last two months I have not been doing very good  because my truck has been having lots of mechanical issues.  On Monday I will be calling fleet assignment and asking them what accounts they have available in my area.  The plan is that if I get on an account with Werner then they will work harder to make sure I have a truck that is working because they can't afford to have a truck down on contract accounts.  Unfortunately, Werner doesn't look out for their OTR drivers as much as dedicated drivers.
 
I talk to lots of people about God.  In my talking to people, I come across people (both Christians and non-Christians) that say that the Bible contradicts itself.  The problem with this is that if the Bible does contradict itself then the Bible can't be the word of God.  If the Bible isn't the word of God then where do you get God's word from.  Some will say that God speaks to them directly.  Yes, God does speak to His people directly.  God speaks to me every day.  However, so does my adversary and so does my flesh (or human nature).  How do you know if it is God speaking to you or if it is the adversary or if it is your human nature talking to you?  Jesus was tempted by Satan in Matt 4 and as you can tell, Satan used scriptures to try to convince Jesus that it was OK for Him to commit the sins.  Satan does the same to us.  If we don't use the Bible then it is even easier for Satan to convince us that it is OK for us to sin by saying the actions are not sin.  Jesus shows us how to react to this.  So how do you know if it is Satan talking to you or God?  The way I do it is to take what is being told to me and test it against what the Bible says.  If what is being told to me contradicts the Bible then I know it is either Satan or just my human nature.  But of course, you need to have faith that the Bible is the word of God first.  Without this, you don't have anyway to challenge the spirits, do you?
 
One of the things that I have been told is a "contradiction" is in Luke 22:36 "He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."  If you just read this verse then you would think that Jesus promoted violence.  But then you read other verses in the Bible then you will see that Jesus was against violence.  This includes when Jesus rebukes Peter for using the sword to help Jesus.  Contradiction?  Or is there more to why Jesus tells His disciples to buy swords?
 
The best way to avoid being taken by Satan or false prophets is to not just read verses but to understand the Bible.  Remember that originally, the word of God wasn't written as chapters and verses.  They were letter or notes.  You must read the Bible as a bunch of letters and notes.  This means that you can't just read Luke 22:36 and understand what Jesus was talking about.  That would be like taking one sentence of this blog and trying to understand what I am talking about.  Lets take a look at what Jesus said, "Then Jesus asked them, "When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?"
 
"Nothing," they answered.
 
He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. It is written: 'And he was numbered with the transgressors'; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment."
 
The disciples said, "See, Lord, here are two swords."
 
"That's enough!" he replied"
 
The first thing I want to point out is that Jesus told them to have swords but never told them to use the swords.  Jesus never wanted the swords to be used to fight because He said that two swords were going to be enough.  Two swords to fight an army of men?  When you read the whole conversation regarding this, you see that Jesus explains why His disciples had to have swords.  "It is written: 'And he was numbered with the transgressors'; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment." 
 
By the disciples having swords (and Peter actually using it) and the army of people there to get Jesus having weapons, Jesus was numbered with the transgressors.  By Jesus healing the ear of someone who was there to arrest Jesus really showed something amazing.  He healed someone who hated Him.  Jesus also rebukes Peter for using the sword and then goes peacefully with the army of men. 
 
What you will not find is that Jesus tells all His followers to buy weapons and He doesn't tell the disciples or any of His followers to use weapons.  Actually, under the new covenant, Jesus speaks against ALL violence even if someone does something against us. 
 
The exact way that I have looked into this verse you can do to every part of the Bible.  If something looks like a contradiction dig into the verses.  Another thing to look at is who wrote the book, who was speaking, who was the verses or book intended for, what was going on at the time.  Believe it or not, not everything God or God's people said was intended for everyone and some of the things said in the Bible was going against God.  Yes, sometimes God's people sinned and God had it recorded so that we can learn from it. 
 
Well, I will end this for now.  I will try to post more blogs like this to help clarify other verses that people may think contradict other verses.  Take care and God Bless.
 
Love,
The Oklahoma Tomcat
FREE Animations for your email - by IncrediMail! Click Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment